4天前devonthink论坛对于MarginNote和Liquidtext的探讨

群体:研究者、教师

原网址:https://discourse.devontechnologies.com/t/liquidtext-or-marginnotes3/25043

ps.表情备注的地方是我理解的评论中的支持/反馈的地方

I use both LiquidText and MarginNote 3, depending on context and what I want to do.

I assume when you say “using … MarginNotes3 [sic] (or LiquidNotes [sic]) with DEVONThink [sic]” that you understand that MarginNote is available on iOS and macOS, but LiquidText is iOS-only?

Both applications have strengths and weaknesses. With regard to LiquidText, you can open a document from a DEVONthink database stored in DEVONthink to Go on iOS via Files, annotate the file, and save those annotations to the original in DEVONthink to Go. Though you can add handwritten annotations to the file in LiquidText, those handwritten annotations are not saved to the PDF and need to be exported. This is a weakness – LiquidText supports a subset of standard Adobe-style annotations as well as its own unique annotation figures.

MarginNote, on the other hand, :broken_heart:does not open documents via Files and cannot save the annotations back to DEVONthink to Go (or DEVONthink on macOS). MarginNote keeps a copy of the PDF internally to the MarginNote application:broken_heart:. The strength of this is that :heart:you can associate several PDFs into the same “study” workspace in MarginNote and take notes, creating an outline or mind map of notes, across all those documents. :heart:MarginNote also:heart: supports capturing all or parts of web pages as part of the “study” workspace, handwritten notes, comments nested inside other comments, links between comments:heart:, etc. It is a very robust study/research environment.

(LiquidText also supports multiple documents in the same workspace, but :heart:not as robustly as does MarginNote:heart:, in my opinion.)

Getting notes out of MarginNote to DEVONthink is a weakness. You have to export the notes as RTFD files, and then import them to DEVONthink.:broken_heart: There is no synchronization between MarginNote and DEVONthink:broken_heart:. The exported/imported RTFDs are :broken_heart:ugly and very poorly formatted. :broken_heart:(I don’t think the developer understands how to create well-formatted export files. The app also :broken_heart:uses an out of date and poorly formed .mmap MindJet file as an export option – apps that read .mmap files frequently choke on the thing that MarginNote exports. T:broken_heart:he app can also :broken_heart:export OmniOutliner files, but it exports in a dated and somewhat ugly formatted OmniOutliner format.):broken_heart:

I use LiquidText when I want to take reading notes on a single file.

I use MarginNote when I am researching a topic across a library of files and want to have consolidated notes.

Edit: I believe MarginNote is :heart:an excellent research tool for note taking and correlating / aggregating across multiple documents.:heart: I don’t mean to sell it short. If I were to put my money on one of these apps, or :heart:any of their competitors, it will be MarginNote.:heart: The developer has made significant strides in the past 12 months updating and upgrading the interface, fixing major instability issues, and adding creative new features. I am hopeful that :heart:more improvements, especially with export, :heart:are to come.

1 个赞

非常感谢情报加工!其实英文论坛的版块就是对照devonthink论坛设定的,目前外网的MN还处在非常早期的传播阶段,以小群体精英用户为主,很多是院校研究人员,对MN感兴趣的用户很多也同时是devonthink论坛过来的,有时间我们就应该多按大家的指引看一看这些国外用户的需求和想法,为以后在外网传播打基础。

两个背景:
1,国际友人自发鼓吹MN的知名博主外网目前只有YouTube的paperless student
2,给国际用户准备的教程资源非常少,很多资深国外用户还没搞清楚类似url-scheme这样的基本功能,团队目前打算先翻译个FAQ(中文论坛Top Bar的按钮)过渡下,争取后面有精力了以共建Wiki形式提供一个User Mannual。(目前教程资源撰写主要集中在中文资源进一步完善上)

Lanco
Support Team

2 个赞

其实我觉得国外的话可以联系一下Ali Abdaal,这个软件他应该会特别喜欢,并且他的影响力很大。